Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Week 8: Down 15.1 pounds! (207.8) Hatebreed and weight loss?


As a great lyricist once said (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwI1zkBNGa8),
"Perseverance
Against all opposition
Crushing all limitations
Pure strength through solitude
Discipline and determination"

The Hardrock 100. Talk about perseverance. I'd love to do this race some day. 


This week was about perseverance. I wrote a few days ago (http://brandonfitwin.blogspot.com/2016/05/day-54-anxiety-and-weight-gain.html) about the anxiety attacks I'd been having and to see the scale at a loss today is a sign of how I've learned to persevere over time. My childhood was really cushy which is a real arrogant, snotty-nosed kid thing to say, but it's true. In my hometown, we were soft. We weren't raised to overcome failure because failure was looked at as being negative. As I approached my early twenties, with nothing to really show for it, I realized this can't be the way to approach life. It still took me until a few years ago to really put my finger on it. As someone once said,
"Comfort comes as a guest,
lingers to become the host,
and stays to enslave us."

Losing this fifty pounds will require some discomfort. Running 100 miles will require some discomfort. Learning new skills will require some discomfort. These are all things I want to do. Since I'm in a quote-y mood, let me add one more:
"I'd rather be dead than average."

I don't live my life with the hope of being the most middle-class, average dude out there. I'm not wired that way. I did this experiment to see how myself and people like me deal with the obstacles that come with trying to lose a significant amount of weight and so much of it comes down to putting your head down and pushing forward despite the fact that sometimes it feels like you're pushing a wall. I'm glad I've learned to embrace pain (tattoos, running) and discomfort because it's helping me to lose the weight and to tell others that achieving a difficult goal can be done, but it's going to be ugly sometimes.   

Behind me is the trail I ran hill sprints on. It was a beautiful day!
 

Exercise Log:

Wednesday: Lots of walking and stretching. I have a tendency to take these weigh-in days off from any vigorous exercise. Over 15,000 steps for the day.

Thursday: I did 2 miles on the treadmill with no real specific plan. I did .12 intervals mixing up between light jogging and incline walking then transitioned into running and walking intervals. Sometimes it's nice to just get a workout in without too much structure. 2.1 miles in 31:37 including warm up and cool down. Over 13,000 steps for the day.

Friday: Walked a lot. Over 10,000 steps for the day.

Saturday: Walked over 13,000 steps and cleaned and rearranged the apartment.

Sunday: 1.5 mile trail run in 20 minutes. Felt good, decent pace. Walked around at the Boise Parade of Homes. Over 15,000 steps for the day.

Monday: Evening 3 mile run with NOBO training group in intervals. I think with the intervals of walking and running, the overall pace was 13:30. It felt good and I love being around those ladies and gentlemen. Over 15,000 steps for the day.

Tuesday:
- 2 mile trail run in the morning with Megan at 11:00 pace. Could've pushed it harder but our initial goal was 24 minutes and we actually slowed down once we realized we'd accomplish that with no problem. It was 50 degrees, clear with a slight breeze. PERFECT RUNNING WEATHER.
- In the evening, I did a runner-specific body weight workout with consisted of side lying leg raises, clams, single leg glute bridges, plank, stability ball leg curls, stability ball back extensions, bird dogs and body weight squats.
- Lastly, I did three hill sprints. The distance was .125 and it was elevation increase of 200 feet. I did each one in 57 seconds (7:34 pace). It felt good but I needed a 3 minute rest after each sprint.
Over 15,000 steps for the day. 

I'm going to stop posting the "approximate total exercise time" because I don't really know what it means. :)

Baked tofu and roasted red pepper hummus tacos. Mmmmm.

I ran out of kale so this is what my kale-less shake looks like. One apple, a handful of baby carrots and three stalks of celery.


Nutrition: Again, my nutrition was all over the place this week, but that's how I roll. I am eating more plant-based meals now as a way to mix things up. My calories were right about the same average as last week's. 



My calories were a bit chaotic but I still averaged my usual 2,500 average. As you can see, Sunday was really crazy, so I evened it out by dropping significantly on Monday.

Down 15, 35 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment