Monday, April 25, 2016

Day 47: Celebrations and weight gain...

Yesterday was my wife's birthday, so we've been celebrating all weekend. By celebrating of course I mean eating, drinking and being merry. The being merry part has few calories but the eating and drinking can add up a bit. I got on the scale this morning at 215, 2.5 pounds over last Wednesday's weigh in. This doesn't bother me because I didn't say I wasn't going to indulge this weekend and normally fast weight gain means fast weight loss for me, but I must say that I'm glad I didn't advertise this blog as a "how-to" as far as weight loss goes. I'm giving myself a year to take this weight off because I understand there needs to be a balance for me. I have no desire to not indulge during celebrations and holidays as long as I'm making progress. If that progress ever becomes stagnant, then I'll change my actions, but that hasn't happened yet.

Bittercreek Alehouse is our favorite bar in Boise. We went there on Saturday night where I had chips, salsa and french fries. You know, basically carbs, carbs and carbs. Megan had whiskey and beer carbs. :)

I ate homemade chicken enchilada casserole on Sunday (Megan's favorite). I stole this picture from the internet because I'm dreadful at remembering to take pictures for this blog, but it did look a lot like this and was completely delicious... All 1 million calories of it.
I harp on this point in many blog posts, but it's true. You can't get upset about not meeting your expectations if you never had CLEAR expectations to begin with. I never gave myself a caloric goal this weekend therefore I can't be upset that I went overboard. Many clients of mine have a bad habit of giving themselves a hard time when they shouldn't. They'll have a celebration coming up, they'll stress about it, not make a realistic goal in relation to the celebratory time, feel horrible about their actions and then continue to eat poorly for a week. What a horrible downward spiral to fall into. I know I cannot be upset for eating more than I should because I never said how much I'd eat this weekend. Also, it doesn't make sense for two days of indulging to become a week of indulging just because I feel bad (which I don't) about those two days. Does that make sense? It seems to me that people are really hard on themselves. I'm not an in-season bodybuilder so I don't set unrealistic expectations that I know I can't reach and maintain. I have a year long weight loss goal of losing 50 pounds and I'm well on track to making that happen. It took me eight months to put this weight on, so I know it should reasonably take me about that time (or a little more) to take it off.

So, let's sum up this post. Don't be hard on yourself. Life's too short to feel bad, so make your goals realistic and really think about what you truly want out of life. For me, I'd rather indulge a bit more and worry about my food a bit less, than have this experiment overtake my life. It's just not worth it to me. Spending time with people I love and care about far outweighs having visible abs at this point in my life, but that's just me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment